As I’ve mentioned, we are preparing our house to sell right now and there is A LOT to do. If you’ve ever sold a house you know how much there is to do that you just didn’t notice. Over time you get blinders to those annoying little things that are a part of your home. Along with these little things we also just had a big monsoon which caused some roof problems. Agh! Part of why I’ve been MIA is because of the roof problems. Oh and there is also the pregnancy that is keeping me down low, and of course preparing this house to sell during the HOT Arizona summer…. Enough rambling and back to the reason for the blog post. I LOVE to DIY… or at least try my hand at it. That much should be obvious. So why would I NOT want to DIY something? There are a few good reasons not to DIY and here are some of the things that I am not going to be DIYing for the preparation of this house.
I have a long list of things that need to get done around here, including:
- Small plumbing, such as tightening some small leaks, etc.
- Filling screw holes
- Painting the stairways
- Filling the hole from the dog door to the patio
- Deep cleaning the carpet
- THE ROOF – ha!
- Re-carpeting the master bedroom
- Purging soooo much stuff
- Reorganizing furniture
What we will be DIYing:
- Getting rid of all the things
- Cleaning and cleaning some more
- Moving light furniture and styling with my realtor
- Brandon will be moving heavier pieces of furniture that we don’t want in the house during the sale process
- I’ve filled some of the screw holes already… I will get into that more in what I won’t be DIYing
What we will not be DIYing:
- Plumbing…. I have actually tackled some plumbing fixes before, but seeing as I’m pregnant I don’t think I’m gonna be getting on the ground for fear that I won’t be able to get up!
- Filling screw holes that require a step stool or ladder. Another thing that I could normally do, but I’m not stable to begin with and being pregnant I’m even less so
- Deep cleaning the carpets. Chemicals upon chemicals – no thanks
- Painting – I may actually do a few small areas that need touch up if they don’t require a step stool but if it does I’m out and for large surfaces I’m also out.
- Recarpeting is something that I’ve never tried so I’m not gonna try at this juncture.
- We are getting our roof fixed, yay!
Some of these things are hard for me to pay someone else to do when I know that usually I can tackle a lot of these things. I have had to take a deep breath and be ok with not being able to do it all. The stuff we are doing is already a lot! We are up to
seven nine SUV loads that we have brought to Goodwill! It’s amazing how much we have been able to get rid of. It has felt really good to unload a lot of stuff, and it’s even better seeing clear spaces in my home. I’ve been really grateful to have some amazing friends and family who have helped me out and I know that without their help (and some professionals in the near future!) I couldn’t do this. In the beginning I was thinking that I could do it all on my own. It only took me a minute to realize that was ludicrous. Don’t be too hard on yourselves and be honest when you can’t (or maybe even don’t want to) do it yourself.